Already regaining 7 WEEKS out !

shakesgirll
on 4/26/12 1:03 am
 Hey everyone,

I've had the DS done 7 weeks ago in France, and I had lost 29 lbs during the first 6 weeks, and this week, I regained 2 lbs !

During the first weeks, i often ate close to nothing, but now, I'm having 3 meals a day, and there it is, i'm gaining weight.

I must give the following precision: I'm a multirevision patient. I've had 2 lapbands and the VSG done before the DS.
None of the above surgeries have worked, I'm even fatter now than I was when I had my first lapband.

I'm freaked out, really panick-stricken, I fear i'm not going to lose weight with the DS and there is no other solution, so i would like to know if you have experienced that kind of plato/regain phase during your own journies  (please correct my spelling)

Thank you so much,
Sara
Nicolle
on 4/26/12 1:52 am
Calm down, first of all. The weight loss journey is not a free fall. Your body is trying to do its job of protecting you by putting the brakes on a bit. If you cut down to eating nothing, you will only succeed in starving your body.

It's probably some water weight too. Kick the scale under the bed for a week or two and do not get on it. Be patient with yourself and your DS.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

shakesgirll
on 4/26/12 2:10 am
 You're probably right, it's just that after 3 failing surgeries, not losing is my nightmare !

I would love to know if anyone with the DS has failed to lose their weight though.
Thanks Nicolle!
determineddanni
on 4/26/12 2:59 am

Nicolle is right! I ditto all she said :)

I had a small giggle when I read this because this is happens all the time it seems.

I had this same thing happen to me. Instead of thinking negativly, just think of it as a little vacation your body is taking to get back into gear. I have a couple stall outs and was happy to see them. Means your body is resting and recouping. Totally normal. Just follow the guidelines and the DS will do its job:)

HW 259          SW 256          CW 141       GW 150

shakesgirll
on 4/26/12 3:06 am
 Nice way to think about it! Yeah, I'm on vacation ;)
zix
on 4/26/12 7:42 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
I think it's totally normal. My scale went up 2 lbs and stayed there for three weeks, and just started moving again. I lost the 2 lbs and 4 more in the last couple days. I'm 10 weeks out so not that much further out than you.
shakesgirll
on 4/26/12 10:22 am
 That's reassuring! Hope you lose many more ;) 
Crazeru
on 4/26/12 8:55 am
How can you only eat 3 meals a day?  I was eating constantly as you can only eat a small amount at a time.  You may need to up the amount of protein that you are eating.  You should be getting in almost 90 g of protein daily.  Maybe add in a few more snacks, nuts, jerky, deli meats, cheese...

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

shakesgirll
on 4/26/12 10:21 am
 Well, I had my VSG done 2 years ago and it is too large so this is why I can probably eat more than a regular DSer.
The medical team that follows me doesn't encourage me to eat between meals, but to be fair, they don't have any advice for me, except to practice some physical activity. 
They are clueless regarding my diet (the dietician asks me what and how I eat, but just to gather information for future patients).
So this is why I turn to people who have already experienced that because I'm so fearful it won't work ...

But you're right on 1 thing, I don't eat enough protein!
Thanks for the advice :)

mrsannie
on 4/26/12 9:36 pm
 Don't worry it will happen and in a big way!  Your body is just stabizing, when the weightloss picks up you'll be fine.  I am 21/2 years out and all I have regained is between 3 and 5 lbs and I am not perfect with my eating at all!

You'll be fine, dont panic, eat your protein and take your vits, everything will fall into place!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Most Active